7/15/09

Look Out - Another Road Trip!!! NASA!!!

Hi all, yes it's been a while since I posted. Been busy with the 4th of July and then we took a road trip last week to NASA!!! We had hoped to watch ST-127 Space Shuttle Endeavour lift off to the Space Station but alas, the weather has been awful in Florida so we didn't see the launch - in fact, the launch hasn't happened yet. It was supposed to go Saturday, then Sunday, then Monday, then Tuesday which is today so hopefully it will go today!

Ok, so here we go on the trip. We left here Wednesday night last week after finishing up work for the day and got as far as Brunswick, Georgia. Stayed at a brand new Hampton Inn hotel - great soft beds!!! We got up on Thursday and headed down the road, not on the interstate, but instead we took route A1A and went down the coast. We drove through Saint Simons Island, Georgia and looked at some real estate and had lunch at a great restaurant, Mullet Bay - great shrimp!!! From there we traveled to Fort Frederica (an old Fort) and then to Kingley Plantation (an old plantation) and Ribeault (an old, but new plantation). I was able to pick up several stamps for my National Parks book - not sure you are familiar with the National Parks book. In the United States, we have National Parks and we love traveling to them. Well, they have a book that you can get stamped at each of the parks and it's just fun getting the stamps. ANYWAY .. we continued on and arrived in Titusville, Florida early evening. That town was like a ghost town except for one little red car on the road with us who decided to drive into our suburban. CAR WRECK!!! Not a whole lot of damage but it was damaged. No big deal - that's why we have insurance and no, I wasn't driving, the other one was. LOL

So we stayed at a Best Western in Cocoa Beach and it sucked big time. Don't go there!!!! Cocoa Beach is dead - I have no desire to live in Florida at all. I don't wear pink much less live in a pink house - I swear everything looks like sand down there. And rain everyday at 3 and muggy and bugs and sand sand and more sand. So I had to write a nasty note to Best Western because their hotel was nasty and they didn't have our reservations and it was just yucky. Of course, the space shuttle was supposed to launch so there was nowhere else to stay other than there. So we stuck it out. Be weary of beachfront rooms - we were two blocks inward but you could see the water if you closed one eye and stood on one foot. LOL

We were able to spend the day at Kennedy Space Center and evening stayed at night there and watched Star Trek (the new Star Trek) on the IMAX theatre - how KEWL was that!!!!
We had a blast off (get it?? ) at the Space Center. On Saturday, we visited the Astronaut Hall of Fame and we also toured around some of little museums in the area. I bought a bunch of NASA souvenirs like a puzzle of the planets and can you believe it - NASA actually had 12x12 scrapbook kits for scrapping so I bought some of those too. We traveled back to the nice Hampton Inn hotel in Brunswick Saturday night and even stopped back in Saint Simons and ate dinner at Mullet Bay again. What a difference leaving North and South Carolina and Georgia and stepping into Florida.

We also stopped to walk about in St Augustine which was okay and we stopped in Savannah and ate lunch at Paula Deen's restaurant (whew, butter anyone??).

So here are some pictures of our trip -this is a picture from the islands off the coast of Georgia.



And here is a picture of Endeavour on the launch pad - it is still there still waiting to be launched.
Evening at the beach - off the coast of Georgia.


Stay tuned for many scrapbook layouts to be created from the 400+ pictures I took on this trip!!! WOO HOO!!!!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Amazing, amazing photos! Wow, what a trip! Hate you were involved in an accident but my what a good attitude you have about it. Not sure I would be so...ummmm, calm??? Looking forward to all those pages you are going to make with the pics!

BTW, I cannot get use to all the usernames at Serendipity! I never know it's you commenting unless I click "my blog" and it takes me to you. LOL! One of these days I'm going to have everyone's memorized! So many people there that I already know. I'm having a blast there. I'm also still trying to figure out what all there is to do. It's almost overwhelming...but in a good way.

I hope you are trying out for the DT?!?!?!? I sent my stuff in on Sunday. Whether I make the team or not, I think I've found a great place to "hang"! Hope you are having a great day! :)

Michelle H. said...

Glad you had a wondrful time on you road trip!! Sorry to hear about the car wreck! We have traveled to a few of the places you mentioned! I loved Savannah and I want to go back one day!! Loved all the pictures you shared!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Sounds like U had an AMAZING vacation! :):):):):):) Thanks for visiting my blog! :):):):):):):):)

Unknown said...

Hi Terri! Thanks for signing up for my blog candy! The reason the post says July 31st is because I wanted it to stay at the top of my blog until then so everyone gets a chance to see it. After the 31st whoever is signed up for it is who I send somethng to! So in light of that, I'll need your address to send you soemthing! In return just post the same blog candy giveaway on your blog and put me as the first participant. You can choose what you make to send to whoever signs up. It's a fun thing to do! My computer is in the shop right now, I am borrowing my mom s laptop so I'll keep in touch as much as possible until I get my computer back!

Lisa said...

Hey Sweet Thing!!! You are too awesome! Thanks for the hugs and the congrats. I'm actually sitting here in shock. I've had my own little list going for a while and I did not have myself on it. But wow, oh wow!!! I just knew you and Mara and several others would be on the team.

And you know I can't give up blogging...I guess I'll just have to give up sleep!!! :) {hugs} L.